This course will empower you, the landscape architect, to confidently guide your clients in the intricate and lengthy process of raising funds for their playground. It will teach you the strategies that leading charities and non-profit organizations use to pinpoint potential donors, establish strong connections with these individuals, and maintain their involvement in the fundraising project over time.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
We promise to NEVER misuse your email. On occasion, we’ll send a little fun to your inbox to break up those work emails. Exciting things like design tips, funding resources, upcoming events, and more! In addition, enter your email once and you’ll gain access to our full collection of course videos.
About this course
As a landscape architect, when you invest time into a project, you want to see that project become a reality. It can be discouraging when you’ve designed an amazing playground for your client, but they’re lacking the appropriate funds. That’s why it’s important to provide your clients with tools and resources to help their fundraising efforts.
In this course, Jason Rodham of 5W Fundraising will outline several key strategies to fundraise a playground project. In addition, he’ll provide you with numerous guiding questions to make sure you get on a fundraising path that’s right for your project.
- Who should I contact for donations? Start with larger organizations who have more money to give, like foundations or corporations. Then, move your way to individual donors.
- What fundraising technique should I use? While grant applications offer the most return, they’re not always guaranteed. You should also use peer-to-peer outreach and fundraising events.
- How long will my fundraising take? As a general rule of thumb, campaigns of $50,000+ take 6-12 months, $150,000+ take 12-18 months, and $250,000+ take 18-24 months.
- What type of messaging should I use? In today’s marketplace, fundraising campaigns with messages of inclusion, healthy living, or community development resonate well.
- What should I include in my campaign package? Draw potential donors into your project by including renderings, recognition opportunities, and media coverage in your package.
- How do I prospect a donor? Use the “50-mile rule” and contact local donors first. Identify their giving interests, past projects they’ve supported, and their capacity to give.
Jason Rodham is an accomplished fundraising consultant, having worked with over 100 charities, non-profits, and social enterprises throughout the U.S. and Canada. Through his roles as both a consultant and in-house major gifts officer, he has secured more than $27 million in funding from various sources including foundations, corporations, individuals, and government.
Jason has extensive, first-hand experience in every facet of fundraising, such as managing campaigns, identifying prospects, writing grants, and developing donor relationships. His work has spanned all sectors of the non-profit industry, working with prominent hospitals, arts organizations, conservation bodies, and social service agencies.
In the course of his fundraising career, Jason has crafted 200+ grant applications and conducted donor prospect research for more than 100 clients. In addition, he has managed 8 capital campaigns (worth several million dollars each) and organized 9 major-gift fundraising events. Customers continually praise Jason for his extensive knowledge, quick turnaround, and proven results.
Before his transition to the non-profit industry, Jason had a 10 year career in corporate communications, serving as a speech writer, public relations expert, and journalist. Currently, he operates 5W Fundraising, a Montreal-based company that provides grant writing and prospect identification services. 5W Fundraising is also under an exclusive contract with PlayPower Inc. to provide fundraising support for upcoming playground projects.
The great thing about our courses is that they’re designed for all levels of experience. Whether you’re a parent on a PAC planning your first playground, or a landscape architect with decades of experience, there’s always something new to learn. Plus, our courses offer a quick way to stay up to date with the most recent trends in playground design.
Our courses take into account multiple groups and audiences, all of whom have different needs for their playground. A few groups that will benefit from taking our courses include:
- Parents: Parent volunteers will learn the most important aspects to consider when planning their playground project.
- Teachers: Teachers will learn about the educational benefits of play and how to incorporate them on the playground.
- Landscape Architects: Architects will learn innovative design ideas that they may use in their upcoming projects.
- Parks & Recreation: Parks professionals will learn about recent advances in safety, inclusion, and sustainability.
- Property Managers: Property managers will learn how playgrounds can attract families to live in their neighbourhood.
Jason Rodham is the Founder of 5W Fundraising, a grant writing firm based in Montreal that helps both U.S. and Canadian clients. He is a seasoned professional with over 30 years of experience in fundraising, public relations, journalism, and copywriting.